Today in History- January 6th in the USA and Worldwide
Mother Teresa and others
I came across an important day in history today and just had to mention it. I do not usually discuss anything religious but I just had to.......as she is one of my favorite people.
- On January 6, 1929, Sister Mary Teresa first came to Calcutta, India to take care of the poor and diseased and dying people in the world plus her love of orphans. Her love of people and care and compassion over the years have influenced the world and saved many. She was later renamed Mother Teresa for her goodness as she donated her life to helping others. **I remember when Mother Teresa was on a trip to the United States and got very ill in 1991. She was taken to the Loma Linda Hospital and stayed there until she was able to return to India. I sent a get well card to her at the hospital. Several months later I received a letter with foreign stamps and I could not read the handwriting but it was addressed to me. When I opened the letter, it was from Mother Teresa thanking me for the card and prayers while she was ill. I was blown away and later put the letter and card up in a safe place so I would not accidentally throw it away. I am sure she received thousands of cards and well wishes and to think she returned to India and replied to all of those letters with the help of her 4000 religious sisters. Mother Teresa died in India on September 5, 1997. Her goodness during her life is being celebrated by the Roman Catholic Church as she has been approved for Sainthood since she was attributed with 2 miracles during her life.
MORE HISTORICAL EVENTS:
- January 6, 1994- US Olympic Ice Skater Nancy Kerrigan was attacked by Tonya Harding's bodyguard. (I remember this)
- January 6, 1974- Carly Simon's song "Your So Vain" became #1 on the charts and remained there for 3 weeks.
- January 6, 1939- Daily newspaper debuts the comic strip "Superman".
- January 6, 1945- George H.W. Bush marries Barbara Pierce. (later became our 41st US President).
- January 6, 1759- George Washington marries Martha Dandridge Custis (later became our 1st US President).
- January 3-10: National Pizza Week.
- January 3-9: National Lose Weight Week
Thanks for Reading my Real Estate Blog..............